Tuesday 9 April 2019

Letter to My Brother: Mehdi Hassan

Mehdi Hassan

Dear Brother,

I have always admired your abilities even though, I have had reasons to disagree with a number of
your views. A notable one is when you spoke to Mahatir Muhammad on UpFront before he became president of
Malaysia for a second stint. You made a sincere gentle old man look like a fool, that was nasty. I might overlook similar flaws of your's but, never will I ever overlook distortion of facts about my religion. 

Your article, Stoning Gay People to Death in Brunei Is an Outrage and Not My Definition of Islam, on 9th April 2019 really broke my heart. 

I have cleared the misconception on whether or not homosexuality is allowed in Islam in my article, MISCONCEPTION 2: Homosexuality is Allowed in Islam; every Muslim will be convinced by it.

I kept wondering you would do a thing like that and was able to come up with a number of really unworthy reasons.

To maintain your follower-ship in the West.

Allah gives status to whomever He pleases. 

Allah says, "And whatever you have of favor - it is from Allah . Then when adversity touches you, to Him you cry for help". Suratul Nahl (16:53)

The Prophet (SAW) said: “…No one humbles himself before Allah but Allah will raise him in status.”

You want none Muslims to accept you

Allah warns Muslims against such motives.

"And never will the Jews or the Christians approve of you until you follow their religion. Say, "Indeed, the guidance of Allah is the [only] guidance." If you were to follow their desires after what has come to you of knowledge, you would have against Allah no protector or helper"
Suratul Baqarah (2:120)

My brother, we cannot choose what aspect of Islam we think suits us. Islam is a single unit, how you practice it in Makkah should be the way you practice it in the Las Vegas. 

Allah says, "O you who have believed, enter into Islam completely [and perfectly] and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. Indeed, he is to you a clear enemy". Suratul Baqarah (2:208)

Below is my comment on your Facebook post, I used relatively blunt to make the message clear to the non Muslim readers. I pray Allah gives you clarity on this issue.


I am totally disappointed in you even though, I saw it coming. 

To begin with, it is very misleading to take Muslim-majority countries as Islamic countries. It is common sense, most Muslim-majority countries don't practice Islamic law. Tunisia (99% Muslims) just banned polygamy, hijab is not allowed in public places in Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan; all Muslim-majority countries. 

Secondly, Islam is the largest faith in my country Nigeria. You stating otherwise is evil propaganda against us. 

Thirdly, the law does not apply to children as you falsely stated, it applies to only people who have attained puberty. Ibn Qudaamah narrated in al-Mughni (9/62) that there is no difference of opinion among the scholars concerning the fact that the hadd punishment should not be carried out on one who is not mentally stable or an individual who has not yet reached the age of puberty. 

Fourthly, a Muslim believes in Hadith. Muhammad (SAW) said, “Whoever you find doing the action of the people of Loot, execute the one who does it and the one to whom it is done.” al-Tirmidhi (1456), Abu Dawood (4462) and Ibn Maajah (2561). You implying that there is no scriptural punishment for homosexuality in Islam is really mischievous. 

Fifthly, I think it is very unintelligent to keep basing your views on one individual, Hamza Yusuf. Islam is universal, there is no such thing as European, western or middle-eastern Muslims. 

Finally, you don't have to be a Muslim, you can always choose a faith that provides room for your fantasies; that's what we always tell the so-called 'gay muslims'. May Allah guide you, I have always been your fan. I can tolerate differences in opinion but, not when there is an attempt to destroy the essence of my existence; my religion, Islam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us your opinion about this.

You May Also Like: