Friday 10 February 2017

American Athlete Was Detained Without Explanation

Ibtihaj Muhammad
Authorities in America have confirmed that fencer, Ibtihaj Muhammad, was detained for nearly two hours without any explanation shortly after Donald Trump announced his Muslim Migration ban. 31 year old Ibtihaj who holds the record for the first ever American athlete to compete at the Olympics while wearing the hijab said in an interview, "I personally was held at Customs for two hours just a few weeks ago. I don't know why, I can't tell you why it happened to me, but I know that I'm Muslim. I have an Arabic name. And even though I represent Team USA and I have that Olympic hardware, it doesn't change how you look and how people perceive you”. The 2016 Olympics bronze medalist however has a strong feeling that she was maltreated because of her Islamic faith, she added in the interview, "Unfortunately, I know that people talk about this having a lot to do with these seven countries in particular, but I think the net is cast a little bit wider than we know. And I'm included in that as a Muslim woman who wears a hijab". In the wake of the disclosure, Rep. Donald Payne wrote on his tweeter account, "Sickened to hear that Ibtihaj was detained at U.S. Customs for two hours WITHOUT EXPLANATION". Ibtihaj Muhammad did not give any details on the date and time the incident occurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us your opinion about this.

You May Also Like: